Monday, May 15, 2006

2003 Bogle Phantom

Since I discovered wines outside the cheap box wines and white zin of my college years I have been a fan of Bogle vineyards, specifically their Petite Sirah which I think is one of the best wines in the world for the value. So when I was in Napa last year and I saw this Phantom Wine I was intrigued. I didn't pick it up then and have regretted it ever since. However the other day I was visiting my local Spec's on Bay Area and saw this wine calling me, so of course I picked it up.
The Winery: The first vineyards were planted by the father and son team of Warren and Chris Bogle in Clarksburg, Ca in 1968. The family had been into all sorts of farming since the mid 1800's, but it took those two to create the Bogle Vineyards that we know today. They have over 1200 acre's of vines along the Sacramento River. Bogle vineyards is known for creating one of the best values of California wine. From the afore mentioned Petite Sirah to their Syrah and Zinfandel, the wines are always a great 'bang for the buck'.
The Wine: While not as cheap as other Bogle wines (about 17.00) this was still a pretty decent value. The wine weighs in at 14.6% alcohol and is a blend of 59% Petite Sirah, 34% Old Vine Zinfandel, and 2% Old Vine Mouvedre. It pours a nice dark ruby red in the glass. There is smoke cherry, and chocolate with hints of spice in the nose. In the mouth there are tastes of blackberries, black cherries, cocoa, and black pepper. This is a very good wine for a pretty good price. I'd grade it an A.

No comments: