Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale

First off hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend. I know I did, it was the first real get together my wife and I have had since we moved into our new house. Fun times were had. This is a sad post for me, my last Oskar Blues beer to post on (at least until I get some Ten-Fiddy). But as with the others I've tasted this one is in a can, which is not only good for the beer, its good for the pool patio, no broken glass here. This one is OB's flagship and noted for being the first hand-canned craft beer per their website. Since this beer showed up in our fair market it has quickly become my go to everyday non Saint Arnold's beer. I know that's a mouthful, but the point is its a great every day beer.
The Beer: Beer weighs in at 6.5% with 65 IBU's. It pours a bright orangish amber with a quarter inch head. The nose is full of grapefruit, pale toasted malts, other citrus notes. The mouth is smooth and crisp, great effervescence, hoppy, grapefruity even some orange and apricot notes.. However the mouth has some good balance to it, as hoppy as it can be there are some good bready pale malt notes as well. Its almost a IPA and not a traditional (think Sierra Nevada Pale ale) pale ale. Very good, this one gets a straight up B+ from me. Here's what the folks at BA have to say.

3 comments:

The American Don said...

Oskar Blue is the shiznit. I'm taking a few cans with me to Austin when I go tubin'

Dave said...

You may have some new Oskar Blues brews coming in the near future. They will start brewing "Momma's Little Yellow Pils" later this month and also a new Hefeweizen later this year. Plans for canning these haven't yet been announced but they told me they are considering it. Let's hope that is the case.

Barleyvine said...

Ahh a Hefe in a can, now that would be nice. Hope they do can it, or else I'll have to make a trip to CO and check it out.