Thursday, February 29, 2024

Whiskey and Cigar Watching

Making it to midweek and finding some time to relax and enjoy a small pour and a cigar from two of my favorite brands makes work and hectic life just a tad easier.  It's a special time just for me to sit down and enjoy two of my favorite things, three if you include the other part of the picture above.  But let's talk some whisky.
Balvenie is my favorite scotch.  I mentioned Speyside in an earlier post as being my favorite region of Scotland.  I think scotch from here is the most balanced and some like this have a hint of peat.  This particular expression of Balvenie is their Week of Peat, once a year Balvenie distills a batch of peated malt  using their traditional malt bill and then bottle it.  This is a lovely balanced peated Scotch, not overly smokey, but just a hint that toys with the more traditional Balvenie flavors of honey and vanilla.  It's a lovely dram aged for 14 years.  Easy to drink and enjoy, but bold enough to hold up to a nice cigar.
Which brings me to this smoke from Cabal Cigars.  Its important to note that Cabal is owned by a local here in Clear Lake, the same fine gentleman that owns Beers Looking at You, a bar that I wrote about many years ago on the Houston Beer Guide.  So it's nice to smoke something that while not local of course, is owned by a local. This particular smoke is from their Esoterica line I believe with a Dominican wrapper and fillers from Nicaraguan nd Dominican.  It's a nice mild to medium smoke.  A great every day smoke in my opinion, well priced as well and something that paired really well with the Balvenie.  Smooth, notes of leather, coco, a slight sweetness it's a nice easy smoke.  This isn't a smoke that hits you over the head, but it is a great grab and go cigar.  So sit back light up, have a smoke and watch the time go by.

Watching the time, brings me to my last point, this beautiful watch from British independent watch maker Christopher Ward.  I think they have moved beyond the micro brand label.  While they are still primarily on line they are making their own movements, as well as doing a ton of unique things like the horolgoical master piece Bel Canto and the stunning Moonphase.  This particular watch is their Trident a dive watch that has a beautiful green dial.  It is good to down to 300 meters and is a date just watch.  The date window may be my one nit with the front of the watch as I really hate that it is not color matched to the rest of Its a great priced watch at just under $1000 which you can't really complain about.  Its got a great weight to the watch, not to heavy not to light, thin-ish body so it fits under a cuff and nice open style case back. While the movement isn't overly ornate, it is still nice to look at.  It also works on a number of different straps.  The one I purchased came on a very nice metal bracelet with a quick release clasp, however, I have been wearing it on different straps for the last few months.  Primarily a khaki Nato from Bark and Jack, but last week I switched to a one piece leather strap (which is what its on in the picture) from Theo and Harris.  I think it dresses the watch up nicely. So you can buy one watch, with 3 different straps and it really changes the overall style of the piece. I can't recommend Christopher Ward enough, their customer service was top notch when I ordered the watch and for a little bit extra they will size the bracelet for you (sending you any extra links they have removed).  The bracelet fit perfectly when it arrived.  As I stated before they are doing some really interesting things and they are incredible value for the product. Some of the best value out there in my opinion.  If I had any complaints about them, I do feel like their catalog is getting a little large and unfocused.  Too may variants of the same watch, although this is an issue with some of the big luxury brands as well, Omega, I am looking at you!  Overall though they are doing some really great things and keeping the price down which is a great thing since so many watch companies are raising their prices.

No comments: