Wednesday, April 03, 2024

Whiskey and Cigar Wednesday


A week away from posting due to work trip and some personal life stuff, I hadn't time to sit down and post until today.  And what a fun enjoyable post it will be.  A scotch from my favorite Scottish distillery and a a cigar that I had never had before.  What is better than that?

The Scotch

As I have mentioned, The Balvenie is not only my favorite non-seated whisky, it is my favorite whisky period.  I love every expression they put out (well at least every one I have tried).  This expression is a 16 year old scotch.  It is aged primarily in first use American Oak casks (think old bourbon barrels).  Then after 16 years of aging and gaining color and flavors from these old bourbon barrels the master distiller finishes this nectar in casks that held French Pineau. Pineua is a fortified aperitif wine based in Western France.  This combination of casks create a complex character that I really enjoyed.  This Scotch is sweeter than other Balvenie expressions, full of honey, vanilla, balanced with notes of grapefruit and ginger.  It's got sweetness up front, but balanced with some bitterness and spice notes that I think are outstanding.  As I have it I wonder if this would work in a cocktail, maybe something like a Boulevardier with Campari?  I don't typically have scotch in cocktails, but may need to try this out.  I'll report back soon!

The Cigar

This is an interesting one to me.  This Lancero style cigar comes from Tatuaje Cigars.  This cigar shape is quickly becoming one of my favorites.  It looks incredibly elegant and usually produces a longer concentrated smoke that I enjoy.  Tatuaje is owned and operated by Pete Johnson out of California.  It is one of 6 cigar brands he owns and operates.  This particular expression from Tatuaje, is Escasos is made out of Miami, with Ecuadorian wrappers and Nicaraguan filler.  There is a sweetness, a nuttiness up front at the first part of the smoke. Follows with pepper, toast, woody.  The nutty notes persist and combine with peppery toasty notes.  A smooth smoke that holds it form for the duration.  It lasts a bit over an hour of consistent smoking while I sit with my scotch in the other hand.  Its a good smoke, and one that I would reach for again.

No comments: