Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Wednesday Cigars, Whiskey and Watches

 

If you can, everyone should take a little time midweek for some you time.  Time to relax with whatever you want, but just to relax, no TV, no noise, just you enjoying something.  For me that's sitting down with a cigar a scotch, and maybe a book, or maybe just sitting outside.  In addition to a smoke and dram there is a new watch to my collection to talk about!  Excited for this one.  But first....

The Scotch

I've talked about Ardbeg before, it's my favorite peated Whisky and in my mind one of the more complex balanced smoky drams you can find.  This however, is not that.  This is full on peat in the face, beating you back and forth until you ask for mercy.  On the nose it's smokey, yes SMOKEY!  There is an almost cloying sweetness behind the smoke, some stone fruits.  The mouthfeel is oily, it coats the tongue and won't let go.  There are notes of leather, peaches, vanilla, tanic like a dry red wine, coffee grits like I used to get from my grandads percolator coffee.  It's unbalanced, but almost in a good way.  I am not sure I would drink this on the daily, but every once in a while it's a wake up call for what over powering peat can be.  

The Cigar


I smoked an AVO for the first time not to long ago, and am quickly becoming a fan.  I believe this is the third expression from them that I have tried and it holds up very well to the intense scotch.  The AVO Expressions is a limited edition cigar that has an Ecuadorian wrapper with American and Dominican filler tobacco.  It's a medium bodied smoke which is my particular zone.  It lights well, notes of vanilla, white pepper, and cream, as you smoke it down you get some cinnamon toast.  It's mild, but not weak at all.  I think it balances the power of the scotch with its mildness.  I think if you had two in your face things it would be to much, with this there is a yin and yang that play well with each other.  It's a great cigar to sit down for a good long session as this lasted me a little over an hour and a half.  Definitely a good pick up and one that I would recommend.

The Watch

As I said above, I am excited to talk about this watch.  I posted an unboxing video on my Instagram page as well as YouTube a couple of weeks ago and have been wearing this watch regularly since then. Dufrane is based out of Austin, TX and has been making some beautiful watches over the last few years. Each watch is put together in Austin.  I've been looking at their watches for about a year, looking to purchase one since I thought it was cool that there was a good Texas Watch maker (and there are a couple more out there like Trafford that are worth looking into).  I never pulled the trigger however, until I got an email a few months ago announcing the release of their new GMT watch.  I figured this was the perfect time to make the move and pre-ordered the watch. The fine folks from Dufrane did a good job of keeping folks updated on the progress until it showed up on my doorstep.  I was excited to open it up and let me tell you this watch for the price is stunning.  It's got incredible finishing, I love the blue dial as I think it absolutely pops.  The watch has very good lume as well with it being easily read in the dark.  The bracelet is fantastic as well with easy release and easy adjustments standard (this should be standard for all watches, looking at you Tag Hauer).  The watch is the first from Dufrane to have the Made in Swiss statement on the dial. Unlike his previous watches this one is assembled in Switzerland and then shipped over here, vs being put together in Austin. But this office GMT style watch offers a lot of bang for the buck with its finishing, beautiful dial, bracelet, and leather strap that comes with it, as well as just good solid functionality.  Overall this is a great watch, by a great Texas company.  My full review of the watch is below.  Check it out and like and subscribe for more content on YouTube.



No comments: