Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Green Flash West Coast IPA

Another one from the San Diego Brewery. I've become a big fan of their beers as I've had the opportunity to taste those that are in the Houston Market. This IPA is no different, although at 95 IBU's it seems almost like a DIPA (Compare to Avery's DIPA that had 102 IBU's). However high the bitterness the alcohol remains somewhat low at 7% (compared to 10.2% for the Maharaja).
Enough with the stats on to the beer.
The Beer: Pours a hazy cloudy orange with a thin taupe colored head that leaves plenty of lacing in its wake. The nose is as expected plenty of hops, notes of pine needles and grapefruit. The mouthfeel is thick with hops everywhere, coating the tongue saturating my tasted buds. Its resin-y grapefruit, apricots with little to no malt balance. This is an out and out hop bomb. A good beer, and I love a Hop Bomb, but I also appreciate the malt balance that can make this style great. This one misses the mark on that, but is otherwise a very solid beer and gets a B+ from me. Here's what the folks at BA had to say.

No comments: