Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Brew Dog Paradox

So far my experience with Scotland's Brew Dog brews have been an up and down experience. However, I'm an experimenter and I want to enjoy Brew Dog's beers, because I really like the sound of some of the things they are doing over there. Luckily for us the Houston market has more of their beers like this one Paradox, an Imperial Stout aged in Oak Barrels. There are multiple batches, each aged in a different type of barrell and different type of whiskey. This particular one was aged in barrels from the Isle of Arran.
The Beer: This one weighs in at 10% and pours a deep rich black with a quarter inch head with a frothy milk chocolate colored head. Poured into my new Dogfish head goblet. The nose is of chocolate, oak, vanilla. The mouthfeel is lighter than expected, like milk chocolate, but bitter dark chocolate, roasted malts, coffee beans. Other notes of oak, vanilla, cinimon, coco. The head dissapears relatively quickly, but the mouthfeel stays silk smooth coating and sliding along and around the tongue. Very little alcohol in the mouth. As it warms just a bit of the whiskey shows up, but its not unpleasant instead it gives a nice warmth. This is a beer that makes me happy Brew Dog is on the scene. This gets a B+ from me. See how the folks at BA feel.

No comments: