Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale

Beyond looking for new beers, I'm looking for new beer styles. As many beers as I have tried there are many styles that I've never had before. A recent example is the Eisbock from last week. Part of the reason I love beer is that there are so many different flavors and styles of beer that one would be hard pressed to ever try all styles. It keeps life exciting to try though. This beer something I picked up in Denver back during GABF is one of those new style types, a Black IPA. How can something be a pale ale and black at the same time? I don't know, but I do know its black and has the hops and flavor an IPA so until someone comes up with a better name, we'll go with it.
The Beer: It weighs in at 8.7% and pours a very dark almost black with a thick tan colored head. Notes of hops, grapefruit, lots of grapefruit, rich dark malts. Mouthfeel is full, hops, grapefruit peel, apricots, dark malts, dark rye breads almost like a schwarzbier. Rye bread with marmalade? Yeah that sounds about right. The hops really saturate the tongue like a good Stone beer should. They know their hops and this one isn't different. Good beer that has combined two different flavors that you usually don't see together very well. It gets a B+ from me. Here's what the folks at BA say.

3 comments:

assurbanipaul said...

Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous isn't an eisbock.

Barleyvine said...

Confused Paul...Never said it was, its a Black IPA. I do say that I've had a new style of beer the eisbock, but the link goes to the Kulmbacher I had last week.

assurbanipaul said...

Sorry.... the way it reads is as introducing the Stone SSRA as an eisbock.