Monday, January 14, 2008

Great Divide Hercules Double IPA

This weekend I was in the mood for something hoppy, so I headed to Central Market to see what was on the shelves. When not seeing anything that jumped out at me as new, I went for something more familiar to me. While I've never done an "official" tasting of it, this is a beer I've had many times. Great Divide is a brewery based in downtown Denver not to far a walk from Flying Dog, or the Rockies Baseball Stadium.
The Beer: The beer pours an orangish amber capped with a thin white head. The head dissipates relatively quickly but leaves behind plenty of lacing throughout. The nose is all hops, some floral, some piney, and a lot of grapefruit. My first thought as I started to drink this fine brew was "Yup its a hop bomb." WHile thats true it also doesn't mean there isn't some balance here. While grapefruit is in abundance, there is some toasted pale malts, even some toffeness character to the beer. Not a lot of alcohol burn even though its there as I sipped. A very fine Double IPA. I'll give it an A-. Here's what the folks at BA had to say.

No comments: