Sunday, January 25, 2009

De Proef Reserve Signature Ale Collaboration with Port Brewing

I picked this large Belgian beer up at Spec's for many reason's. The first is that I'm a big fan of brewery collaboration beer's. It's an interesting concept seeing two different brewers teaming up together taking their individual styles and entwining them into something new, and hopefully delicious.. One of the few that I have tried Collaboration not Litigation from Avery and Russian River is delicious so I'm always on the look out for more. The second reason is that this is a collaboration that involves Tomme Arthur of Port Brewing and Lost Abbey fame and so far this is the only way to taste anything he does in Texas. Lastly this particular collaboration is a limited time sort of thing. De Proef has decided to do a number of collaborations with American Breweries. This was their first I believe, and their second is with another California brewery, Alesmith (and yes I'm incredibly excited to try that one when its released). This particular beer is an ale made with American Hops and Belgian Brett yeast.
The Beer: The beer weighs in at 8.5% and pours a pale golden cloudy orange with a frothy white head. The nose has citrusy hops, with a barnyard sourness. White fruit. The mouthfeel is tongue coating, bretty, white grapes, apricots and grapefruity hops. Notes of lychi. Very yeasty and funky a very enjoyable beer. Very good with a barnyard funk, giving the beer a tart/tanginess to the mouth. Incredibly complex there's so much going on, I need another bottle to just sit, drink and contemplate. This one gets a strong B+ from me. The folks at BA love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice review of Signature Ale. Just a quick update - the 2nd collaboration was done with Allagash and is called Les Deux Brasseurs (The Two Brewers). An allocation is the way to Texas right now!

Cheers,
Alan Shapiro
SBS Imports
Seattle, Washington
www.sbs-imports.com

Barleyvine said...

Alan,
Thanks for your quick comment. I thought there was another collaboration out there, I just couldn't remember who with. Thanks for the info! I can't wait to try the beer, hopefully it will show up at my local Spec's soon.

Anonymous said...

Tried it yesterday. It's very grown up and sophisticated beer - love this fleeting bitter apple undertaste.