Thursday, January 15, 2009

Koningshoeven Quadrupel

I start my second week of the year craving something complex, something soul warming, something that I can sip and contemplate. I go to my local Spec's seeking something out that would satisfy my requirements, my eyes darting from shelf to shelf seeking something anything to settle the quench....finally my eyes rest upon a large bottle, focusing on the words Quadrupel..then the brewery Koningshoeven, and it was then that I knew this beer would give me want I desired. You see Koningshoeven is not just any old brewery, it's a Trappist Brewery. And to be even more unique its the only Trappist brewery located outside of Belgium, instead residing in the nearby Netherlands. Its a unique Trappist brewery that only recently regained the ability to display the Trappist symbol on their beers. Luckily the monks have taken a bigger role in the brewery and they are producing some excellent beers. Koningshoeven is also known as La Trappe in other parts of the world.
The Beer: This one weighs in at 10% and pours a copperish red with a thick slightly off white head. The nose is fruity, spices, vanilla, and caramel malts. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy coating the tongue. Sweet caramel, grapes, vanilla, spices dance around the mouth, and all these flavors hide the high alcohol. Smooth and delightful I start to get notes of orange peel, plums as the beer warms and I sip, contemplate and sip some more. Notes of candied sugar. The last glass of this large bottle had bits of yeast floating as I swirled it around, concentrated flavors that reminded me of creme brulee. Yes this is exactly what I wanted and it gets an A from me. How do the folks at BA feel?

No comments: