Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Two years and two Foghorns

I guess the theme this week is two. Yesterday I posted on two beers from Boulevard's awesome smokestack series. Today its taking a look at two years of Anchor's Foghorn barleywine. I've been aging last years for well, a year, and did a comparison to the fresh version. For reference here is the link to my notes on last years Foghorn when it was fresh.
'07 Foghorn: Pours a dark chestnut with only a thin film of a head. The nose is of roasted malts, molasses and licorice. Mouthfeel is thick and tongue coating. Earthy, musty, hops, cherry, figs, licorice, prunes and molasses all find a place. Slightly sweet. Aged well, I wish I had more. This year I need to buy more and age them longer as this has held up very well and I think could hold up for a couple more years. Very nice. An A-.
'08 Foghorn: Cloudy brown with streaks of red capped by a taupe colored head. Floral hops, sweet roasted caramel malts, raisins, figs and molasses all show up on the nose. Creamy rich mouthfeel. Strong hop notes, much stronger than the aged version, less of the dark dried concentrated fruit flavors (although its there its much more subtle). Notes of caramel and toasted biscuits. A fine fine barleywine, one of my favorites. This one gets an A- from me.

No comments: