Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Barley Vine Hiatus

This will be my last post for a couple of weeks as I'm off for a well needed vacation. The wife and I are headed to Spain. However before I leave I wanted to post a couple of quick notes:
- May 11th through the 17th is American Craft Beer Week. I'm sure various beer bars around town will be hosting some special events so raise a glass of craft beer that week and salute those that make it.
- Secondly the next session has been announced. The host for this month's virtual beer tasting is Brian Yaeger, author of Red, White, and Brew, the theme for this month is Think/Drink Globally. Since my blog touts good beer is local beer I didn't know what to think initially. However upon reading his idea I kinda like it. Here is his idea:
I pose everyone writes about the farthest brewery (including brewpubs) you have visited and specifically the best beer you had there. Again, not your favorite or any old brewery you've been to, but the one that is the longest haul away, be it by airplane, car, ferry, rickshaw, whatever...
Then he has a second challenge:
  • if you brought home a bottle while visiting the brewery and have it secreted away, crack it open.
  • if you don't have any left from that visit but the particular beer is available where you live (or if not your fave from said brewery, another brand from it), go get one.
  • otherwise, find a local beer of the same style and do a little compare and contrast.
Due date is June 5. It seems this month's Session coincides nicely with my trip to Spain. While known more for its wines, maybe just maybe I can find something worth writing about.

1 comment:

J Lackey said...

Have fun - I'm jealous! I hear vermouth is big in Spain and that you can get it on tap? If you have the opportunity, can you try that out for me and report? I'm very intrigued!