Sunday, April 21, 2024

Sunday Musings, Texas Coffee Edition


Happy Sunday, another week, and I missed my midweek post, so apologies, but already have something lined up for this week so should be good to go and back on track.  I hope everyone is enjoying a nice weekend.  Kicking today off with some coffee, which got me to thinking about Texas Coffee roasters, something that I have mentioned in previous posts.  For today, I am enjoying another cup of beans from Dallas based Ascension Coffee.  This particular bag is a blend of central and South America beans.  Made my traditional pour over and it produced an outstanding cup of coffee, full of notes of milk chocolate covered almonds, some fruity notes, slightly sweet, medium bodied, but does a good job of coating the mouth.  A good cup to wake up with and love the new cup from Bark And Jack, the same place I pick up most of my watch straps (that icy blue on my Hamilton is amazing looking).  Love that type of cup, and it goes well with my other enamel cups that I have.  Getting quite a selection.  

I don't have any recommendations this week, but we did have a Formula 1 race this week, and as always we have Liverpool to chat about. But before we get to that let's talk Texas coffee.  While there are states that get more love for their home grown roasters.  States like California, Washington, Oregon, and Illinois (due to the coffee culture in Chicago), I think Texas Roasters are holding their own.  Yes there may not be a ton of small roasters here, but the quality of what that small group produces is as good as any in other states.  Here are my top 5 roasters in the state, in no particular order:

1. Greenway

2. Amaya

3. Greater Good

4. Tenfold

5. Ascension

What are some of your favorite Coffee Roasters in Texas?

EPL 

I can't explain how frustrated I am right now as a Liverpool fan.  The last couple of weeks they have completely fallen apart.  And I don't even understand why.  They are actually getting healthier with players like Salah and their star keeper Allison coming back and they still are playing like crap.  2 weeks ago they had an opportunity for 4 trophies, 3 to add to the earlier Carabou cup.  Now?  They may end up with only 1.  The have been knocked out of the FA Cup, and the Europa League, and are third in the EPL after being first since before the New Year.  It's been frustrating matches to watch because it's not like other teams are playing lights out.  The Reds have just looked lack luster and uninspired.  When they should be playing lights out for Klopp it seems they just don't have any more heart and Klopp has lost the ability to inspire them.  Maybe it's true, that Klopp realized he was losing the team and knew that it was time for him to leave.  It sure looks like this team has left Klopp behind.  Now we may see City once again win the League which is incredibly disappointing.  The reds could still step up as they have a relatively easy end of the season, but there are so few matches left, I don't think it matters if they win out or not.  I would love to see them end the season playing some inspired football, but the team outside of the always amazing Salah has been bad.  TAA is just not stepping up and Captain VVD isn't the same player he was a few years ago.  Our midfield is lifeless as well.  OK OK that's enough venting.  Let's see the reds step up and beat on Fulham today!

Formula 1

After a 5 year hiatus the teams were back in China.  Having had to skip the Shanghai GP due to Covid restrictions since 2019, the teams were able to go back, very differently than they were in 2019 when Hamilton and Mercedes were at the top of the grid.  They are no longer a top team instead being replaced by Red Bull.  Another early morning start that I honestly didn't stay up for, but I as always do have thoughts on the race.  

Firstly it seems that McLaren may have figured some things out. After a decent, but not great start to the season after the first two races, the last couple they are doing very well. Norris was at the top of the grid for the Sprint Race start, and finished P2 in the actual GP.  He continues to be the bridesmaid and not bride, having his 8th (I think) 2nd place finish with never a top finish.  

Time may be undefeated, but Aston Martins Alonso is doing one heck of a job of holding it off.  His racing today was absolutely lights out.  His passing in the turns had me holding my breath.  It was just tremendous.  Unfortunately for the team they don' have a great second driver, which will be what ends up hurting them in the constructors cup.  Lance Stroll finished a very dissapointing 15th.  While I know that Papa Stroll won't fire his son, part of me wonders if sponsors will start making noise now that it is evident that if they had a better second driver they could finish higher in the constructors championship.

Ferrari continues to be a strong second contender to Red Bull.  Both Ferrari drivers finished in the top 5 with LeClerc finally finished ahead of Sainz.   But both drives overall looked good.

Haas continues to surprise by gaining some points and being one of two (along with VISA Cash APP RB) other teams beyond the big 5 to score points this season.

Overall, while it is unfortunately evident that Max is going to run away with the top spot this season and Red Bull is going to win the Constrcutors cup, I don't think its a 100% garauntee that Perez finishes second and spots 2-5 in constructors is fairly wide open which does make for some exciting watching.

We have a week off before the Miami GP on 5 May.  Racing and Cinco De Mayo?  Sounds like a winning combination to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

District Roasters are great. Especially love their Reserve series of Rum or Whiskey Barrel-rested beans. You can find them at the Heights and Rice Village farmers' markets.

Barleyvine said...

Awesome! I’ll check them out, thank you for the suggestion.