Sunday, August 10, 2008

Green Flash Barleywine

This post marks a bittersweet moment for me. Over the past week I've been plowing through Green Flash beers, left and right. This post will be the last of them for now as its the final beer from the San Diego brewery that I've been able to find at my local Spec's down in Clear Lake. Maybe there is more up in downtown, or maybe, just maybe Green Flash will be sending more of their beers to the Lone Star State. I can say that I'm happy to end it on a high note as barleywines are one of my favorite styles.
The Beer: This one weighs in at 10% and pours a cloudy brown with a thick white head. Sweet caramel malts on the nose with the slightest hints of citrusy malts. This nose is awesome, I could bury my face in this snifter glass all night. The mouth feel is thick, with notes of toffee, caramel, and a good smack of hoppy bitterness. Creamy, sooth, this a great sipping beer, and while it seems out of place for the Texas heat was quite tasty. Its got notes of cherry and whiskey that correlate to a tad bit of alcohol burn, but in a beer like this I don't mind it. I really enjoyed this one, and it gets a strong A- from me. Here's what the folks at BA had to say.

No comments: