Monday, July 13, 2009

Fight Night and Beer

Saturday was a huge fight night and as I usually do, I enjoyed some beers. However since this wasn't just any fight night, I couldn't choose just any beer. The first one I had, was from Anderson Valley, a brewery from California that just entered into our market. The second beer is one that my wife had brought back from LA a couple of months back.
Anderson Valley Brother David Tripel: This one just arrived in our fair market. It weighs in at 10.0% and pours a an orangish honey color with a thin white head. Whit fruit, peaches, honey, yeast all on the nose. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean, a little toastiness, a lot of candied sugar, peaches, yeast, honey, white pepper. A little sweet for me, I like my Tripels a little drier. A little alcohol showed up on the finish as it warmed. An OK Tripel, but not one that I would actively seek out compared to what else is available. B- from me. The folks at BA tend to agree.
Alesmith Speedway Stout: This is one that my wife picked up for me. Its made with Brothers Coffee. It weighs in at hefty 12.0%. The beer pours a pitch dark dark black with a THICK cafe colored head. The nose is espresso, roasted malts, dark chocolate, bready grains. The mouthfeel is thick and luxurious, bitter chocolate, mocha, espresso. Its like drinking a wonderful Imperial Stout with a side of espresso. There is even a bit of citrus acidity, almost a hint of lemon. There is so much great smooth, slightly bitter coffee flavor to this one. There is some burnt notes, but I feel that its from the malts necessary to get this beast so dark and black. The aftertaste of this beer is pure espresso to me. Very rich, very good. A sipping beer to be sure, but there isn't a lot of alcohol in the mouth, its hidden extremely well. This is one amazing beer and gets the hard sought after A+ from me. Here's what the folks at BA had to say.

No comments: